Season So Far | Historical | Interactive | Club Info | Supporters | Links | News | Home | Contact

Back To Big Games

League Cup

The 1974 League Cup Final

League Cup

Wolverhampton Wanderers



Manchester City

Man City Logo

1. Gary Pierce 1. Keith Macrae
2. Geoff Palmer 2. Colin Barrett
3. Derek Parkin 3. Willy Donachie
4. Mike Bailey (Captain) 4. Mike Doyle
5. Frank Munro 5. Tommy Booth
6. John McAlle 6. Tony Towers
7. Barry Powell 7. Mike Summerbee (captain)
8. Kenny Hibbitt 8. Colin Bell
9. John Richards 9. Francis Lee
10. Derek Dougan 10. Denis Law
11. David Wagstaffe 11. Rodney Marsh
Sub: Alan Sunderland Referee: ED Wallace Sub: Dennis Leman
Manager: Bill McGarry Linesmen: H Williams & RG Sheppard Manager: Ron Saunders

Many Thanks to Simon Smith for sending me Real Player clips of Kenny Hibbitt's goal, John Richards goal and Mike Bailey lifting the cup. If you would like to see them click the links below.

Kenny Hibbitt's Goal

John Richard's Goal

Mike Bailey Lifts the Cup

How Wolves Reached Wembley

Round Fixture Scorers
2nd Round  Halifax Town 0-3 Wolves Sunderland, Dougan, Richards
3rd Round  Tranmere 1-1 Wolves Sunderland
3rd Round Replay Wolves 2-1 Tranmere Dougan, Powell
4th Round Wolves 5-1 Exeter City Hibbitt 2, Richards 2, Dougan
5th Round Wolves 1-0 Liverpool Richards
Semi-Final Norwich 1-1 Wolves Richards
Semi-Final Replay Wolves 1 -0 Norwich Richards

Match Report

Terrace tickets cost 80p as the 97,886 attendance paid receipts of 161,500 for a game that kicked-off at 3.30pm. Pierce replaced the injured Parkes in goal knowing that his inexperience would be tested by a star-studded City forward line, the Mancunians where favourites although their season was to peter out and leave them 14th in the League. In the first half Wolves were more than holding their own and a 43rd minute volley from Hibbitt put them in front. After the break City were only defied by the heroics of birthday-boy Pierce until Bell finally equalised. Wolves came back strongly despite the limping Wagstaffe having to make way for substitute Powell and in the 81st minute there was some neat approach work between Captain Bailey and Sunderland, the ball then running kindly for Richards to steer it home and place Wolverhampton back on the footballing map.