Season So Far | Historical | Interactive | Club Info | Supporters | Links | News | Home | Contact
Old Gold


 Old Gold, great players who have worn the Old Gold and Black

George Berry
Rostrop, West Germany

George Berry made his Football League debut for Wolves in a vital promotion clash against Chelsea on 7thGeorge Berry May 1977 in a game that ended in a 1-1 draw, but it wasn't until the 1978-79 season that he established himself as a first-team regular and at the end of that season was voted Player of the Year by the supporters. Over the next four seasons he went on to take his total of league and cup appearances for Wolves to 160. In 1980 he won a League Cup winners medal when Wolves beat Nottingham Forest 1-0 in the final. In the summer of 1982, Berry joined Stoke City and within a short period had been made team captain. He was to stay at the Victoria Ground for eight seasons and despite loan spells at Doncaster Rovers and a brief sojourn in Portuguese football, Berry amassed a total of 269 first team appearances for the Potters. He then joined Peterborough United and in his only season captained the club to promotion from the Fourth Division. he then signed for Preston North End but as his legs couldn't stand the pressure of playing homes games on plastic, he was loaned to Aldershot where he ended his league career.
Despite being born in Rostrop, West Germany, George Berry played for Wales at full international level, winning five caps between May 1979 and February 1983.

Floyd Streete

Defender Floyd Streete played his early football with the Rivet Sports Club then he turned professional with Cambridge Utd in the summer of 1976.
Floyd StreeteIn his first season with Cambridge he helped them win the Fourth Division Championship, the following season they won promotion to Division 2. After 125 league appearances in seven years for Cambridge he went to play abroad with Utrecht and SC Cambuur before Derby County signed him on a non-contract basis in September 1984. He appeared in 35 league games for the Rams before Bill McGarry paid just 5,000 to bring him to Molineux in October 1985. He made his debut in a 2-1 win at Rotherham Utd and, though the club were relegated at the end of that season, Streete turned in a number of outstanding performances, with a variety of central defensive partners. After helping the club into the Fourth Division play-offs in 1986-87, he was a member of the Wolves side that won the Fourth Division Championship, the Sherpa Van Trophy in 1987-88 and the Third Division title the following season. Streete went on to play in 159 games for Wolves before leaving to join Reading in July 1990.

*Picture shows Floyd Streete receiving a trophy from the chairman of Manchester Wolves, after being voted their Supporters 'Player of the Year' for 1988-89.

Francis Michael Munro
Born: 25th October 1947, Broughty Ferry near Dundee

Frank Munro began his career as an amateur centre-forward with Chelsea in 1961-62 but when they  released him he returned north of the border to join Dundee Utd. Capped by Scotland at youth level, he was, surprisingly, allowed to join Aberdeen for 10,000 collecting a runners-up medal as the Dons were beaten in the Scottish Cup Final a year later. He scored a hat-trick against Wolves in a summer tournament in America in 1967, then moved to Molineux for 55,000 in January 1968. He soon won over the Molineux faithful as a central defender and over the next eight years gave the club great service. He appeared in the 1972 UEFA Cup final and the League Cup final victory over Man City in 1974. Munro won nine full caps for Scotland during his time with Wolves but, once he had helped them win the Second Division Championship in 1976-77, he left to join Celtic. Munro had scored 18 goals in 371 games for Wolves. During his time at Celtic he played in the 1978 Scottish League Cup final before ending his playing days in Australian football playing initially for Hellas before becoming coach, in turn, of Albion Rovers, Hamlyn Rangers and Kellor Austria.

Phil 'Lofty' Parkes 
Born: 14th July 1947

Phil Parkes joined Wolves straight from school in 1962 and turned professional two years later, but it was November 1966 before he made his debut against Preston NE, in which he saved a penalty in a 3-2 Wolves win. He went on to appear in 14 more games that season as Wolves won promotion to the First Division. He missed very few games over the next nine seasons and was ever present in 1971-72 and 1972-73, when he established a club record of 127 consecutive league appearances, breaking Noel George's record. Parkes won a UEFA Cup runners-up medal in 1972 but did not play at all in 1976-77 when Wolves won the second Division title. He went on to appear in 382 first-team matches with only Bert Williams appearing in more games as a goalkeeper. Having appeared for for Vancouver Whitecaps, he returned there after he left Molineux and in 1979 helped them win the Soccer Bowl. He later played for Chicago Sting, San Jose Earthquakes and Toronto Blizzard.

Edward Albert Stuart
12th May 1931, Middleburg, Cape, South Africa

Full-back Eddie Stuart played intermediate football for Rangers FC of Johannesburg before joining Wolves as a professional in January 1951. He made his debut for Wolves as a centre-forward and scored Wolves only goal (and his only Wolves goal) in a 4-1 home defeat by West Brom on 15th April 1952. The following season he didn't make an appearance because he had to return to South Africa after being infected by a 'mystery illness'. Thankfully he responded to treatment and returned in the 1953-54 season and played at right-back for the last 12 games of the season, helping the club win the League Championship. After that, Stuart was a virtual ever-present in the number 2 shirt for the next 11 seasons and appeared in 332 League and Cup games for Wolves. He won Championship medals again in 1958 and 1959, and played in Europe, he also received a FA Cup winners medal in 1960 although he didn't play in the final against Blackburn, when George Showell was picked.
In July 1962 he was transferred to Stoke City for 8,000, and in his first season at the Victoria Ground captained them to the Second Division title. He scored twice for Stoke in 71 games then in August 1964 moved to Tranemere Rovers for 4,000. In July 1966 he signed for Stockport County and helped them win the Fourth Division title in 1967. Eddie retired from competitive football in 1968 after 510 League appearances and spent 2 years with Worcester City, making 110 appearances for them, then went onto to manage the non-league club. During the late 1970's and early 1980's, while living in Tettenhall, he played in several charity matches in the Midlands as well as running a successful hairdressing business with shops in Wolverhampton, Codsall and Newcastle (Staffs).

Paul William Bradshaw
28th April 1956, Altrincham

Goalkeeper Paul Bradshaw represented Altricham and Chesire boys and had trials with Manchester Utd in 1971 before becoming an apprentice with Blackburn in January 1972, turning profesional at Ewood Park in July 1973. He had appeared in 78 league games for Blackburn when he became Wolves record signing in September 1977 as Sammy Chung paid 150,000 for him.
He made his debut in a 3-0 home win over Leicester City and remained in the first team until May 1982, when replaced by John Burridge. By the time he left Molineux, he had appeared in 243 first-team games, won a League Cup winners medal and represented England Under-23s on four occasions.
In August 1984 he signed for Vancouver Whitecaps of the NASL, then joined West Brom in February 1985. He stayed at Albion until June 1986 and after a coaching spell with Walsall, signed for Bristol Rovers on a non-contract basis, later assisting Newport County (1987-88) before undertaking a second term at the Hawthornes. In May 1990 Bradshaw left Albion for Peterborough Utd, teaming up with former colleague George Berry. He retired from the game in 1992 and returned to live and work in Wolverhampton. During his 243 Wolves appearances he was voted Player of the year in 1981 and 1982.

Albert Groves
January 1886, Newport, Monmouthshire. Died: 1960.

Albert Groves was one of the smallest centre-halves ever to play for Wolves at 5ft 7in. Groves joined Wolves from Aberdare Athletic (Aberdeen) in August 1909, and made his debut in a 3-2 home win over Manchester City on the final day of the 1909-10 season. He played in several positions including inside-right in 1912-13, when he scored ten goals in Division Two.
During World War One he served in the Army and guested for Port Vale, Bury and Sunbeam Motors (Coventry). In 1919 he re-signed for Wolves but only stayed for one season, then he decided to try his luck in management, taking over at Birmingham League side Walsall as player-manager for one season before handing over to Jack Burchell, when Walsall became founder members of the Third Division North.
He stayed on at Walsall as secretary until 1924 and still played competitively scoring 8 goals in 36 appearances during their first season in the Football League. He left Walsall (after playing 79 League, 12 FA Cup and 33 other senior appearances scoring 15 goals) and later played for Willenhall before becomming the licensee of the Hope and Anchor pub, Bloxwich Road, Willenhall.
Groves Wolves record: 217 appearances, 20 goals.

If you would like a player added to Old Gold or have any information I have missed on the players please